Frequently Asked Questions about CHC Pharmacy Services

What is the difference between pharmacies?
The Bourne and Falmouth pharmacies can accept prescriptions from any providers office. Whereas the Mashpee pharmacy is only able to fulfill prescriptions written by CHC providers.

How do I get a refill when I still have refills left on my prescription?
For patients at the Mashpee Pharmacy, please call 508-477-0004.  For patients of the Bourne Pharmacy, please call 508-539-6090.  Make sure you have the prescription number from the bottle and follow the instructions.

If I run out of medication, don’t have any refills left, and don’t have an appointment scheduled, what should I do?
Please call your care team and schedule an appointment. Make sure you let them know it is for a medication refill. Your medical team has a bridging policy to ensure you do not miss a dose while waiting for your next appointment. Do not go without medication if you are out of refills and medication.

What if my insurance is pending, but not active yet?
If you are a CHC patient working with our outreach staff to obtain insurance, you may qualify for a sliding-scale fee. The sliding-scale allows you to purchase your medication at a reduced cost at the CHC pharmacies until your insurance becomes active.

What is a sliding-scale fee?
We offer a temporary sliding-scale fee for CHC patients whose insurance is not active yet. (You must be working with our health center outreach staff to obtain insurance.) The reduced cost is based on your income, and you can pay this amount until your insurance is active. We cannot offer a sliding scale for medications that require a prior authorization or are not covered by your active insurance. Discount programs are available to help reduce cost of medications not covered by your insurance. The pharmacist usually can suggest alternative medications that would be covered if your insurance requires a prior authorizations or medication is not covered. Please make sure your provider knows if you do not have insurance so we can offer further assistance.

What if I only have Health Safety Net (HSN)?
If you are a CHC patient and have HSN, you can get your prescriptions filled here.

Do you accept out of state insurance?
We accept most out of state insurance plans, except state specific Medicaid plans. Please contact our pharmacy staff with any additional questions.

Are there any health insurance plans Community Health Center does not accept?
We accept nearly all insurances, except Medicare Part B and state specific Medicaid plans that are outside of Massachusetts.

Can I use the pharmacy if I am a patient in Falmouth or the dental clinic or if I’m not a patient at CHC?
Yes. As part of our medical home, our pharmacies are available to all Community Health Center patients. The Bourne and Falmouth retail pharmacies are open to all individuals, regardless of CHC patient status.

Can prescriptions written by a non-Community Health Center provider be filled at Community Health Center pharmacy?
Outside provider prescriptions can be re-written in certain instances by your CHC provider if we are managing your care. Patients who have health safety net (HSN) coverage are only covered at the CHC pharmacy and should immediately meet with your medical team for reevaluation and rewrite. All other patients can fill outside provider prescription at any retail pharmacy, until their next provider appointment, who will then evaluate continuation of the therapy.

How do I sign up?
It’s easy. Just stop by the pharmacy at our sites in Mashpee, Falmouth or Bourne, or have your provider direct prescriptions to the CHC pharmacy.